Workshop – Bearings Change

Sorry, I’ve not been around much of late. Our last two outing left little to write about and whilst I’m keen to share all of our exploits in the great outdoors if I just start babbling rubbish you’ll all soon get bored. I’ll say this though, we have some exciting weekends coming up so keep your eyes peeled for those, I’m certain they will deserve a write up in either a blog post here or one of our You Tube Videos here  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZAhfSeHirymRZp0ydNk5A?sub_confirmation=1

Anyway, latest development in the life of Marc is that I was rushed into hospital on Sunday and had an emergency appendectomy 12 hours later. Rather unexpected but it has allowed me some time to get a blog post up and for ages I’ve had this idea of posting workshop posts. Though what with summer time being so busy I’ve actually had little time to make any changes to Daisy or the trailer but there are many things on the list so again keep your eyes peeled for them. They will all be titled ‘Workshop – xxxxxxxx’ so will be easy to differentiate from our usual travel ramblings.

Here I’m going to tell you how I went about changing the bearings on our trailer after we had the misfortune of one of them collapsing on our Elan Valley trip. You can read more about that in an earlier blog and share in our trials and tribulations over on You Tube where we posted a video of the whole journey with a clip of the SWLRC lads trying to remove a wheel from a hub. How many of them do you think it took?

I guess this is what we started off with. As in this is how it looked coming back from the St Davids/Elan Valley trip. You can see that the dust cap has gone, as has the split pin – replaced with some stainless steel cable to hold the hub bolt in place and copious amounts of spray grease added to the front and back of the bearing assembly to ensure it didn’t dry out after the roadside repair.

 

Once we had it back in the workshop (aka our 12×12 ex-army tent) we got it jacked up and started stripping back the temporary roadside repairs.

 

Vehicle is jacked up and as we start stripping back the repairs we see that the stub axle has hardly taken a beating at all. We used a combination of self amalgamating table and strips of stainless steel cut from a Diet Coke can to bulk out the rear bearing that had come from a Land Rover and was miles too big for it’s intended purpose.

  
It was at this point we noticed the hub actually appears to have been re-purposed at some point as the Bolt holes appear to have been re-drilled in a different location. Most likely I guess to accept wheels with a different PCD at some point. I don’t think the wheels had come off this trailer for some time though as the bolt turned with the nuts. Wayne from SWLRC came to the rescue on that ones and with his swanky new 200 watt welder stuck some weld onto the back of the hub bolts to keep them glued in place.


So stripping, tidying, welding and cleaning complete it was time to start putting it all back together again. The shiny new bearings were acquired from https://simplybearings.co.uk they have a really handy tool on their website that allows you to take measurements from either the existing bearing if you have it (or from the stub axle and inside of the hub if you don’t) and pop them into a space on their website and the site will return all the results that will fit. Really handy section on how to measure bearings too. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Info-Pages-How-to-Measure-a-Bearing/c4746_4972/index.html

I went out and bought some Vernier Calipers because I wanted to make sure I got the sizes correct first time but I’m reliably informed that the same measurements can be achieved with an adjustable spanner and a ruler. I have to say though I seem to use so many different size nut and bolt combos between LR and trailer I’m often wondering what size hole I need to drill for a particular bolt and those calipers will be brilliant for measuring ‘M’ sizes.

I just used a long tool I had lying around to gently tap the new bearings back onto the stub axle. I also gave the axle and the inside of the bearings a generous coating of fresh grease to help them on too.


And this was the final result. Very pleased with how well this went on, I thought I was going to have a lot more trouble.

 

We drifted the outer races into the hub whilst I was at Wayne’s as he had the correct tools to do the job and no doubt if I had taken it back to the workshop I’d have spent an age trying to find a big enough bearing to do it myself.


So bearing are back on the axle and the outer races are back in the hub. the whole hub assembly can now be pushed back onto the axle.

 

Bolted back in place and correct split pin re-inserted.

Wheel back on and dust cap tapped back into place

 

Just a couple of points before I sign off. I hope what I’ve written here helps some of you. I’m not a fitter by any means and this job is far from perfect but it’ll work. The more astute of you will notice I didn’t fit a fresh seal on the back of the inner bearing and that is because I did not have one and the trailer needed to be ready for our next adventure which it completed happily. When I got it home I stripped down both sides again and re-fitted the bearings with the rear seal. The purpose of which is to stop the grease leaking straight out the back and keep it all as a sealed unit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.